There can be nothing more comforting, or warming than a hearty stew on a cold winter’s night and this may just come in handy for what I believe is a cold spell heading our way. This takes minutes to prepare and can simmer away in a slow cooker (or on a low oven temperature) all day ready to warm you up in the evening. I think something like this is perfect with mash potato and lots of green vegetables.
- 1 kg beef stewing steak, cubed
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 150ml beef stock
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I use Tamari to keep it gluten free)
- 1 tsp paprika, adjust according to preference
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and beef. Cook the beef until sealed. This can be done in batches.
- Put the beef in the slow cooker or casserole dish
- Add all the other ingredients and stir.
- Cook on low for a minimum of six hours in the slow cooker or in the oven.
- Serve with lovely creamy mash and green vegetables.