Once you’ve tasted these fresh out of the oven pecan and cinnamon whirls with cinnamon drizzle you won’t want anything else for breakfast ever again!
Fresh hot pastries out of the oven are heavenly but sometimes the faff of baking first thing in the morning can be too much, that’s where ready made pastry comes into its own. No one will ever know, these pecan and cinnamon whirls still taste a-ma-zing and they take just a couple of minutes prep and then a few minutes in the oven.
The sugar in this recipe caramelises the pecans and the combination of cinnamon is a huge hit. These whirls lasted all of about five seconds! You don’t have to ice them…they are sweet already but it finishes them off perfectly and if you make the icing thin enough you can do this almost five minutes after getting them out of the oven and it sets really quickly so the pecan and cinnamon whirls will still be warm and fresh. Mmmmm…
For a faster recipe, prepare the sugar, cinnamon and nut mixture the night before, you’ll save a few minutes of time meaning those pastries will be ready to pop in the mouth even quicker!
So, when you want a really quick and simple but oh so tasty and sweet breakfast these pecan and cinnamon whirls are just the recipe you need.
Pecan and Cinnamon Whirls with Cinnamon Drizzle recipe
- Fresh ready rolled puff pastry sheet (I used a 375g one from Sainsbury's)
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (or more if you really really like it)
- 80g roughly chopped pecans
- a little milk
- For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/Gas mark 6/ Fan 180ºC
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet with the parchment paper on to a baking sheet
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a bowl
- Cover the pastry in the sugar mixture up to about 5mm away from the edges
- Using the parchment paper tightly roll the pastry up from the long edge.
- Using a sharp knife cut the roll into about 14 slices
- Tuck any stray sugar or nuts back into the whirls
- Place the whirls back on the parchment paper
- Brush a little milk onto each whirl
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked through
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer each whirl to a wire rack
- Prepare the cinnamon icing by mixing the icing sugar and cinnamon together and then slowly adding the water until it is of a very runny consistency
- Drizzle the whirls with the icing and leave to set for a minute and then...
Pin this recipe for pecan and cinnamon whirls with cinnamon drizzle for later: