Supercharge your January with Thatchers gluten free cider and my delicious cider chicken bake…
Hands up who else is trying to stick to some new healthy goals this January? It doesn’t all have to be dull though, I’ve been including a lot more colourful fruit and vegetables in my diet this month (and feeling better for it). If like me you’re avoiding gluten in your diet you’ll be pleased to know that Thatchers ciders are still on the menu as they are all gluten free, whoop! That’s great news for cider lovers and perfect for all of us attempting to start a new dietary regime. In fact, Thatchers’ ciders always have always been gluten free.
I couldn’t resist giving my chicken bake recipe a generous splash of Thatchers cider for a change but it’s still gluten free, packed full of vegetables and makes a fabulous meal for a healthy January.
Cider is a really delicious way to cook chicken, and combined with a very nearly one-pot bake (great for this time of year and for busy households) this recipe makes an easy mid-week meal or a lovely Sunday dinner, with a twist.
I used Thatchers Katy single variety in the cider chicken bake, it is a medium dry cider made using Katy apples. Very light, crisp, and smooth, with a hint of sparkle and strawberry notes, so good!
I’ve also made this recipe using pork steaks and Thatchers Gold, which is made with a blend of Dabinett, Porters Perfection and Harry Masters Jersey apples. It got a big thumbs up. Next time I’ll try Thatchers Vintage, a mix of Dabinett, Prince William Jonagold and Falstaff apples.
Thatchers have been making cider on the family farm in Somerset for over four generations and are very particular about the quality and variety of apples used by their cider-makers, giving each cider its own individual character. Plus as well as being gluten free all of the ciders are vegetarian and vegan.
Thatchers Cider Chicken Bake recipe…
- 1 large chicken cut into 4 or 8 pieces (or buy chicken pieces)
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 500g new potatoes, cut in half if they are large
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 250ml Thatchers cider
- Knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas mark 6
- Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes and drain,
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking put an oven proof baking tray drizzled with a little oil into the oven
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, add the potatoes and all the vegetables then stir to coat in the hot oil. Season and put back in the oven for 10 minutes
- Season the chicken
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces in batches
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and turn the oven down to 180ºc/gas mark 4
- Place the chicken pieces on the vegetables, add the sprigs of thyme and pour over the stock and Thatchers cider
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Serve with green vegetables and the pour the lovely cider sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
Thatchers’ ciders are available throughout the UK in supermarkets, off licences, and pubs and clubs.
Pin for later:
Disclosure: This is written in partnership with Thatchers but all words, recipe and opinions are my own.
Top Image [Shutterstock]