This recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and savoury and it’s healthy, and filling. Eggs are my go to breakfast/brunch nearly everytime as they keep me full for longer. I’ve called this a sweet potato and kale hash but let it go a bit crispier and it will be a rosti.
I couldn’t wait to try out the new chef and dine range of cooking utensils and saucepans I was sent by M&S. They look stylish as well as obviously being functional, the Chef Tri Ply saucepan has superior conductivity with oven safe brass effect handles, the aluminium sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel helps conduct heat quickly across the whole pan. The Chef Tri Ply textured frying pan has oven safe brass handles and a textured base to lift food out of the oil, help searing and reduce sticking. The weeny mini copper fry pan is perfect for making one egg, although grease well otherwise you’ll find the egg sticks.
Feel free to add the chilli flakes, or not, depending on whether you like a bit of heat but as well as being packed full of vitamins and minerals, chillies are believed to kick start your metabolism (fat burning) and help regulate insulin levels.
Eggs, the ultimate superfood in my opinion… so many health benefits, packed full of iron, protein, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals, the list goes on. Plus they keep you full for longer so you won’t feel hungry.
Sweet Potato and Kale Hash Brunch recipe…
- 1 Sweet potato (about the size of your hand, if it's medium size)
- Large handful of kale (chopped)
- ¼ onion, chopped or grated
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chilli flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Knob butter
- Optional crispy bacon to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Gas Mark 5
- If you are feeling really prepared do step one the night before and leave the unpeeled sweet potato in the fridge, otherwise par boil the sweet potato in boiling water for 8 minutes
- Remove from the water and leave to cool until it can be peeled without burning you
- Grate the sweet potato into a colander and squeeze out the excess moisture,
- Put the sweet potato into a bowl and add the kale, onion, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, salt and pepper and mix well with your hands
- Melt the knob of butter in an oven safe small frying pan and put the sweet potato mixture into the pan-gently frying it stirring for a minute and then press the mixture down to make a cake shape. The deeper it is the longer it will take to cook.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the has is cooked
- Serve with a crispy fried egg on top and if you like bacon add a sprinkle of freshly cooked streaky bacon rasher pieces
For more of the Chef range from M&S and another healthy boost to your day check out my recipe for a super seedy cinnamon granola with blueberry vanilla compote.
The post is written in partnership with M&S but all words and opinions are my own. For more information about the range check out the M&S website.
Pin for later: