We’ve been trying to follow a bit more of a structured way of eating here, whereas I am a huge believer of natural products, I’ve been attempting (this goes against the grain for me) to keep track of the calories etc being consumed. I’ve loosely been watching portion control, calorie consumption, sugar consumption etc and you may find a mix of recipes from now on (I can’t stop the really really wicked ones for ever).
Coincidentally, I was sent a tub of Natvia recently which is a natural sweetener made from a blend of stevia (a sweet plant) and erythritol (found in melon and grapes). Natvia doesn’t leave that horrible after-taste in your mouth, it is very sweet and pleasant tasting. It is very light and melts very easily on the tongue (all in the name of research). And, it is free from syns on the Slimming World diet, as well as having zero calories!! Natvia can be used in baking as well as for your tea and coffee and as a topping for cereal.
With a couple of black bananas looking sorry for themselves in the fruit bowl I thought it would be a good idea to attempt to make a Slimming World friendly (or just a sugar free treat for anyone) banana bread. It worked. I made it with buckwheat because it’s gluten free but feel free to replace with wholemeal or brown flour, it doesn’t really affect the syns count, if you prefer to use those flours instead. The buckwheat flour makes it slightly heavy in texture but it also has a lovely nutty taste.
If you divide this loaf into 12 slices, each slice is approximately 7 syns! Or cut into 14 slices, it’s do-able, and it’s just 6 syns! My daughter liked it on it’s own but I loved it with a dollop of fat free fromage frais. Mmmm.
- 350g buckwheat flour (or wholemeal/brown)
- 100g Natvia
- 2 very ripe bananas, save half a banana for decoration and mash the rest
- 100g very low fat spread (i used Clover Lighter than Light)
- 200ml fat free greek/natural yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Apple, cored and chopped finely with the skin on
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4
- Grease a 1lb loaf tin with low calorie spray and then line with parchment/greaseproof paper.
- Put the flour, low fat spread, Natvia, mashed banana, yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, lemon zest and juice into a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until well combined. Or beat with a spoon.
- Add the apple and mix well.
- Put the mixture into the tin.
- Chop the remaining banana into slices and use to decorate the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin after about 5 minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve on it's own or with a dollop of fat free fromage frais.