We all know how amazing olive oil is for us, containing many minerals good for our health. Black olives in particular are a good source of iron and olives are a key ingredient in the Mediterranean diet which is renowned for being particularly healthy. And… olives really taste great, they are a delicious snack but also add a bit extra to recipes too. I have a family of olive lovers…we all fight over the last one.
Do you need some inspiration on how to cook with olives though? You need the Olive It! recipe book…and I have twenty to give away.
I have a lovely recipe to share with you from Olive It! Written by Spanish chefs José Pizarro and Omar Allibhoy, they share their joy of olives and family-trusted recipes that have been passed down through generations.The book contains over forty recipes for olive marinades, tapenades, tapas feasting tips and recipes such as Green Olives with Figs, Orange and Bay Leaves to more adventurous combinations such as Black Olives with Wasabi, Ginger and Smoked Salmon, and Green Olives with Manchego, Chorizo and Melon.
Chorizo & Olive Skewers recipe…
- 3 fresh chorizo sausages (the hot ones if you like it spicy)
- 2 red peppers
- 27 green pitted olives
- 9 wooden skewers
- For the marinade:
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 pinch of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch of dried oregano
- 1 pinch of cumin
- For the honey-mustard mayonnaise:
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tbsp of vinegar (whichever you have available)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of mustard (English, French, grain… as you prefer)
- 50ml of vegetable oil
- 70 ml of Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- The mayonnaise:
- Put in a bowl, the egg, mustard, honey, vinegar and a pinch of salt and blend with a hand blender. Start adding the oil very slowly while you blend until completely emulsified.
- Keep refrigerated until needed.
- Cut each chorizo sausage in slices as thick as the olives.
- Do the same with the red pepper.
- Starting and finishing with the olives, skewer 3 olives, 4 pieces of pepper and 2 of chorizo in each skewer, alternating them.
- Mix the marinade ingredients and pour over the skewers in a baking tray.
- You can cook them in a medium heat frying pan or just bake under the grill in the oven at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes, turning half way through the cooking time.
- Serve the skewers on a tray with the mayo on the side for people to dip as much or as little as they like.
Win an Olive It! Recipe Book…
I have twenty Olive It! recipe books to give away, simply answer the following question and fill out the rafflecopter widget. Terms and conditions apply, open to UK residents over 18 years only. Be really quick though, this ends in just two days!