When McCain asked me to take part in their #kidsteatimetakeover campaign I didn’t think twice. I am terribly guilty of not spending enough time in the kitchen with the children. I have two sons that have gone off to uni with the most basic of cooking skills that as a food blogger I feel quite frankly, embarrassed by. Give them their dues though they have coped magnificently. And, if you can read a cookery book then you should be able to follow the most basic of instructions…hopefully!
I started off well with M, he could make sandwiches at two years old, and cut up cucumber with a knife but then we haven’t done anything for a long time. However, McCain want to champion the simple joys of real family teatimes this Autumn by hijacking one night of the week (Thursday) where families can connect over food by simply swapping roles and encouraging kids to takeover the helm in the kitchen.
Step by step to making mozzarella burgers…
Teatimes can often be overlooked and go by in a flash. This campaign aims to provide another reason for families to enjoy their teatime in a fun, interactive way and experience the good stuff together.
So, that’s our plan…eight year old M is going to be cooking dinner for us and to get us started he made mozzarella burgers for us last Thursday.
I have to admit these mozzarella burgers are probably the best homemade burgers we have ever made…and that gooey mozzarella in the middle, yum!
M cooked McCain oven chips (with supervision) and made a little salad to go with the burgers and chips. We used some lovely crusty rolls which taste so much better than burger buns, in my opinion. M had ketchup in his burger and I had tomato salsa, mayonnaise and some lettuce. They were soooo good!
- 4 spring onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 500g minced beef
- 1 egg
- 80g mozzarella cut into 4 pieces
- 500g McCain oven chips
- 10cm piece cucumber, chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful of chopped iceberg lettuce
- Tomato ketchup or salsa to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220ºc/Gas mark 7
- Put the spring onions, parsley, minced beef and egg into a bowl and mix well with your hands
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal balls
- Squash a ball of the meat mixture into a burger shape with the palm of your hand (or use a metal ring as a mould)
- Put a piece of mozzarella into the centre of the patty and top with another ball of meat mixture
- Press down the meat to seal the mozzarella in
- Repeat until you have four burgers
- Put the chips on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes
- Either grill the burgers under a hot grill, or on a griddle for 8-10 minutes each side
- In the meantime put all the salad ingredients into a bowl
- Serve the burgers with rolls, the chips and salad.
Thank you to McCain for the goodies we received to help M do his Kids Teatime Takeover , he especially loves having his very own recipe file!