Making Sense of Sugar have some great advice for us all at this time of year when copious amounts of chocolate are usually consumed.

For many families across the UK, the Easter weekend is traditionally a time for treats and celebrations.

hot cross bun

And new research from Making Sense of Sugar shows that many of us simply can’t wait to get our hands on the first Easter treat, with almost one in five (18%) of us admitting our household cracks open the first chocolate egg as soon as they all wake up. A further 28% say they only manage to make it to mid-morning before tucking in. Sound familiar?

We love a treat as much as the next person but, we know that we have to keep a bit of an eye on how much we are treating ourselves! And it’s not only the chocolate. Other Easter treats, such as hot cross buns, all add up when it comes to counting calories. Just one buttered bun equates to 14% of our recommended daily calories intake.

Don’t get us wrong, we love a treat as much as the next person and so, it got us thinking that people may find it helpful to be able to see at a glance how they can enjoy their treats as part of a healthy diet.

In our new Guide to Sugars, we’ve taken a closer look at the labels of everyday kitchen favourites including what we plan on eating this Easter weekend. We’ve included a calorie breakdown and some facts you may find surprising….

Need more help on how to maintain a healthy balance diet? Making Sense of Sugar’s video is a great place to start.

Sponsored Post

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

20 thoughts on “Making sense of sugar this Easter

1. were working our way through the kids easter eggs i can not escape all the sugar!

Posted on April 12, 2015 at 7:10 pm
  2. we always enjoy a large lamb roast followed by one egg, the other eggs get eaten day by day not all at once

Posted on April 6, 2015 at 12:19 pm
  3. Sugar is everywhere these days. Reading labels can be really scary experience if you aren’t aware what is inside your food.

Posted on April 6, 2015 at 11:28 am
  4. I made the kids wait until after lunch before they were allowed a little chocolate. They actually only had a little all day. I’ve had 3 roses chocs.

Posted on April 5, 2015 at 10:42 pm
  5. It’s crazy how much my kids will devour on Easter Sunday, they would literally not stop if i didn’t tell them to! Disgusting really! I’m not a bit fan of chocolate, I like it but I prefer the hot cross bun (with loads of butter – doh!!)

Posted on April 5, 2015 at 1:39 pm
  6. Can I stick my fingers in my ears and forget that about Hot Cross Buns, ohh I do love them. x

Posted on April 4, 2015 at 8:29 pm
  7. I read that stat about hot cross buns the other day. Scary considering my HCB addiction – oops!

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 9:17 pm
  8. Ha ha I’ve almost cracked open my egg already, and it’s not even Easter yet! Thanks for sharing though – scary thought, about how sugar-laden hot cross buns are.

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm
  9. Sugar is such a menace as it is everywhere! It’s really good practise to be sugar aware and I love the post and tips you give

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 6:52 pm
  10. We have become so aware of sugars in our house recently, we think it’s causing our daughters meltdowns. We have to watch everything, even fruit

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 2:39 pm
  11. My girls used to get lots of Easter eggs but over time we have cut down on them.

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 2:14 pm
  12. I do not like chocolate that much!
    So will not be having an egg, however the hot cross buns are out and other easter snacks!

My family have bought my Daughter eggs and i am guessing like last year the chocolate will keep her going for months!

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm
  13. Everything in moderation is a great saying. We do love the odd treat at Christmas and Easter, but sometimes buy a gift instead of an Egg for family as you can get too many eggs!

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 9:34 am
  14. We are still eating Christmas chocolate so I have avoided buying any for Easter, although I know he’ll get some.

Posted on April 3, 2015 at 7:38 am
  15. Oh no, I do know that Hot X Buns plus butter are bad but I love a little Easter treat 🙂

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 10:22 pm
  16. We are egg hoarders .. the kids get way too many so we restrict them to half an egg at a time (small size eggs ) they often have eggs left in June lol

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 10:10 pm
  17. My husband always complains I still have Easter eggs left in July! Balance is everything.

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 9:29 pm
  18. I should be more wary but I can’t resist some chocolate at Easter! Great guide though to help restrict it in other ways.

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 9:26 pm
  19. Interesting. We try and steer clear of cereals etc, but I know that the boys get sugar in other ways

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 8:16 pm
  20. I really need to be more wary of sugar content. Even something supposedly healthy as breakfast cereal can be loaded with sugar.

Posted on April 2, 2015 at 7:22 pm