Sometimes in the past I have found travelling so stressful that I could quite easily have binned the holiday at the last minute. However once all checked in I would relax and be raring to go.

reduce the stress of travel

The following travel tips should help reduce the stress of travel.

1. Be prepared, check way in advance of travelling that your passport is valid, if it is due to expire in less than six months check the passport requirements for the country you are visiting. And get a European Health insurance Card if travelling within Europe, they’re free so no excuse.

2. The same goes for visas, check with the country you are visiting and ideally allow six weeks for applications to be processed in busy times. Sadly I know of someone who didn’t make their holiday because their visa didn’t turn up in time.

3. Wherever in the world you are travelling to, check which vaccinations are recommended as some require more than one dose over a period of time to be effective.

4. If you have an early morning flight consider staying in a hotel local to the airport to avoid stressful rush hour traffic. That is what I did when I reduce the stress of travel went to Ireland last November. If you want to drive to the airport there are lots of great park, stay and go options such as the one offered by the Crown Plaza, Heathrow. You can then park your car, unwind in the hotel for the night and go off on your travels the next morning feeling calm and relaxed. We have done this many times with the children after missing a flight once! Yep, that was fun.

5. Obviously check what you need to wear, if going on a casual beach holiday you won’t need much more than swimwear, shorts, t-shirts and summer dresses. Some deluxe hotels will expect men in long trousers for dining in the restaurants, this will be clear on the hotel’s website though. Observe the dress code of the country you are visiting, especially relevant when touring places of worship.

6. Travelling with young children doesn’t have to be too stressful if you are prepared, don’t panic about taking enough nappies for two weeks unless you are going to a remote jungle somewhere. Again, do your research, most places will have shops where you can buy essentials. I do remember travelling with four children once, the youngest was just over a year old and we had to get a teeny tiny plane with a luggage restriction of 15kg…I had to pack very carefully, and take enough nappies! It was a challenge but we had an amazing time.

7. It should be obvious but make sure you have enough essential medication in your hand luggage to last a few days, you never know when you will Top Tips for Stress Free Travel- Cherished By Me end up with an impromptu extra long stay due to delays out of the airline’s control. I was shocked how many people were in a sticky situation after the flight I was on from Florida last year was delayed by over 24 hours.

8. I think travelling on the whole with young children is so much easier now, but if you need to keep them amused on a flight consider making up a bag of goodies for them that you give them on the plane filled with small gifts. My children loved little play figures, a colouring book and a small box of pencils, magic painting (don’t forget the paint brush) was a big hit. Effective and mess free as long as you hold the cup of water. A new picture book or story book for older ones along with small travel games such as magnetic ludo or hangman are great time wasters too.

Don’t forget to have fun and remember that you can get most things anywhere so don’t panic too much about trying to fit the kitchen sink into your luggage.

Does anyone have any other tips for reducing the stress of travel?

Happy travels!

Disclosure: Sponsored Content

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 thoughts on “Travel Tips: Reduce the stress of travel

1. I totally agree about being stressed. We took my son to France when he was 4 months old, it was the most stressful holiday ever! xx

Posted on March 10, 2015 at 9:19 am
  2. the giving yourself time is so important, traveling doesn’t have to be stressful! x

Posted on March 9, 2015 at 9:10 am
  3. I don’t think travel will ever be stress free when you have small people in tow

Posted on March 9, 2015 at 6:57 am
  4. A super list of tips. I’m another nervous flyer so anything that takes some of the stress away helps

Posted on March 6, 2015 at 7:29 pm
  5. Some super tips .. we prefer to get an early flight and stay in a hotel .. it makes the holiday longer 😉

Posted on March 5, 2015 at 9:16 pm
  6. I just leave it to the wife to sort out, I don’t interrupt and get in the way.

Posted on March 5, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  7. Great tips! I agree that you have to give yourself as much time as possible – reduce the stress rather than add to it.

Posted on March 4, 2015 at 9:48 pm
  8. Some great ideas and some great tips x

Posted on March 4, 2015 at 11:55 am
  9. Great tips! I’m travelling tomorrow and i’m trying to get myself organised. Now off to get euros! Thanks for sharing. x

Posted on March 4, 2015 at 9:40 am
  10. I’m in the middle of planning a long haul plane trip with three kids right now so these tips are very useful, thank you!

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:19 pm
  11. Great tips!”

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:16 pm
  12. I’m a really nervous flier so all these little hassles take on epic proportions for me!

It’s good to be prepared and not have any unnecessary pressures.

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 4:55 pm
  13. Some great tips here. I haven’t travelled very far away with the kids yet but we never go a long distance without travel sickness remedies because 2 of them get very ill.

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 3:14 pm
  14. I used to get terribly stressed about travelling. Now as long as I have my passport, I realise we can sort everything else

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 11:21 am
  15. fantastic post! The furthest I have travelled with the kids is just over an hour, by car, for a seaside holiday. We are hoping to take them to Disneyland Paris at some point. x

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 11:10 am
  16. Travelling is stressful, but thankfully not so bad now my son can keep himself amused with electronics for a good long time. Great tips though about planning.

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:50 am
  17. thanks for the great ideas , im the type of person who goes to the shops and forgets i have the house phone in my hand instead of my mobile phone or like yesterday i was on the house phone to my husband asking him what plug i needed to take out while the electrician was in the house doing our full check for the new house and unplugged the house phone not realising i was still talking away lol, no one there of course but it goes to show how forgetful i am so for me lists like this come in handy x

Posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:44 am