I know, they sound a little odd…but strawberries and black pepper are often paired so why shouldn’t strawberry & black pepper cupcakes make a great combination? These will not be for everyone, if you like a little kick along with the sweetness of strawberry jam then hopefully you will love these. And dare I say it, there are Valentine’s day hints everywhere, these make for a more masculine cake or definitely for those that don’t have a particularly sweet tooth.
I have iced them purely for blog photos but personally I think these cakes look sooo pretty completely naked. Maybe a sprinkling of icing sugar?
I went for strawberry jam rather than strawberries purely because it was what I had in the cupboard and strawberries can be so expensive at this time of year. Adjust the amount of black pepper according to taste, I was slightly heavy handed and my children have called these strawberry & black pepper cupcakes ‘spicy’…however it hasn’t stopped them from demolishing them.
As you can see from the photos, I put about half a teaspoon of jam on top of the cake mixture and then gently swirled it with a cocktail stick so that there was delicious strawberry jam running through the cake.
So, who celebrates Valentine’s day? As I am single I tend to forget about it usually but this year I have been very aware of it hence I jumped on the band wagon to bring you cute little heart shaped cakes, obviously don’t go out and buy a heart shaped cupcake tin if you don’t have one, use an ordinary one.
So this Valentine’s day I get a rare child free night, however not a great night to go out unless I want to share every single bar or restaurant with couples out for a romantic evening. It will be a bottle of wine and I will cook myself something nice to eat and watch a film. To be honest, it sounds like the perfect night to me and no fighting over the remote control. I am more than happy for a little me time.
Strawberry & Black Pepper Cupcakes recipe
- 125g soft butter (or stork)
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6
- Put all the ingredients except for the milk and jam into a food processor/mixer and blitz until smooth.
- Add the milk slowly to make a soft dropping consistency.
- If doing in the traditional way, cream the butter and sugar, and then the eggs one at a time adding a spoonful of flour each time and fold in the remainder of the flour& baking powder.
- Add in the milk as above.
- Spoon the mixture into cake cases.
- Add a dollop (1/2 tsp) of jam on to each and use a cocktail stick to swirl through the cake mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked and golden.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing or just a sprinkling of icing sugar when they are cool.
If you want to ice the cakes, use either glace icing or fondant icing if you want a glossier finish. Otherwise I think these are perfect with a sprinkling of icing sugar. Enjoy.