I am always trying to tempt my number two son with food as having a gluten free diet and more, means that he struggles to eat sometimes. I came up with this recipe after adapting another one and am really pleased with the moistness, especially for a gluten free chocolate cake, and it also has a lovely crunchy finish. Oh, and it is also egg free so suits daughter number one who has a problem with eggs!
I finished the gluten free chocolate cake off with a sprinkling of icing sugar to give it a more everyday feel and although it has a strong clean chocolate flavour it isn’t too rich. It can easily be jazzed up and made into something more for a special occasion with icing, ganache or buttercream. Or how about serving it with a dollop of thick double cream or créme fraiche? Mmmmm.
It can easily be jazzed up and made into something more for a special occasion with icing, ganache or buttercream. Or how about serving it with a dollop of thick double cream or créme fraiche? Mmmmm.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g unsweetened gf cocoa powder
- 300ml natural yoghurt (greek or greek style works well)
- 40ml espresso coffee (if you don't have a coffee machine dissolve 2 tsp instant coffee in 40ml of hot water)
- 125g demerara sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100ml coconut oil (if you don't have any use sunflower or olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc
- Grease and line a 20cm (8') cake tin
- Mix the sugar, yoghurt and vanilla in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and whisk, leave for a couple of minutes, it will bubble slightly and appear to rise.
- Add the espresso and the oil to the mixture and mix.
- Gently fold in sifted flour and cocoa powder until combined.
- Put the mixture into the cake tin. If you've used coconut oil it will appear thick but gently spread so that it fills the tin.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes- one hour. Check after 50 minutes. Use a skewer to check if it is cooked through.
- Leave in the tin to cool for ten minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
- Once cold sieve icing sugar over the cake and eat!