Who says you have to have plain yogurt for breakfast? With these Chocolate, banana and oat muffins you get all the protein kick from yogurt, the slow release energy from the oats, a good carb kick from the bananas and a healthy chocolatey kick from the raw cacao powder.
There is a little sugar in these muffins, you can reduce this to individual taste. I love a breakfast on the go…especially great for teens who leave getting up to the very last minute. These have everything you could want or need in a breakfast.
These would also be lovely served with a dollop of thick and creamy Greek yogurt.
Chocolate Banana Oat Breakfast Muffins
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 250ml natural yogurt
- 100g oats
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 egg
- 100ml oil
- 50g raw cacao powder
- 70g caster sugar
- Optional for the topping
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp oats
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- Mash the bananas in a bowl
- In a large bowl mix together the yogurt, egg, oil and banana
- Add the oats to the mixture and mix well
- Sift in the flour and cacao powder into the mixture and gently combine
- Spoon the mixture into lined muffin cases
- Optional, mix the oats and demerara sugar and sprinkle onto the top of the muffin mixture
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are cooked through
- Remove from the oven and then cool the muffins on a wire rack