For ages I have had a craving for a toffee and apple cake. At first I was going to make cupcakes but then I thought why don’t I simplify matters and make a traybake . Then I decided to smarten it up a bit by cutting it into squares. So that is what I did.
The apple in the recipe makes it lovely and moist, which is especially welcomed as I made this with gluten free flour and as I have mentioned before gluten free baking always requires extra liquid.
This is a great autumnal recipe and one for Halloween and Bonfire parties but don’t save it for special occasions…everyday is special and this is an easy peasy recipe.
Toffee and Apple Cake
- 250g Self raising flour (I used Doves gluten free)
- 250g Butter
- 250g Brown sugar
- 150g Approx grated apple
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Black treacle
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 150g Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 50 ml Milk
- 80g Butter, very soft
- Optional: Fudge pieces to decorate.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas mark 4
- Grease and line a traybake tin of 20 x30 cm
- Melt the butter and black treacle slowly in a saucepan and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the pan and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix gently.
- Carefully stir in the apple.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and tip to level off.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until firm and cooked. Use a skewer to check, if it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.
- To make the icing:
- In a pan gently melt the butter and sugar together.
- Add the milk and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Leave to cool.
- Whisk together the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the toffee sauce to the buttercream mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Cut the cake into squares and use the toffee icing to decorate. I use just a little as I find buttercream a bit sickly but if you like lots make more icing.
- Optional: add some fudge pieces to finish off.