I was sent a selection of products from Opies to use in recipes, I have only got around to using the lovely Summer Berry Compote so far but it is very versatile and can be used for lots of different things including poured over home made ice cream or the filling for a lovely Victoria sandwich.The compote contains a whopping 71% mixture of Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Redcurrants and Blackcurrants. It is quite sharp which makes it a perfect accompaniment to sweeter desserts. In this recipe it makes a modern day version similar to a black forest gateaux.
I needed a really speedy dessert one day so used a cake I had already made using this recipe (which is very quick in itself anyway) to whip up a great Boozy Chocolate Delight.
- Chocolate traybake,
- 2 tbsp cherry brandy
- 3 tbsp Opies Summer Berry Compote
- 100ml double cream whipped until it holds stiff peaks
- Cut the traybake into four equal sizes of about 8x4 cm and then slice each one in half horizontally
- Drizzle the cake with the cherry brandy and allow to soak in.
- Spread half the compote onto four of the cake pieces
- Using a piping bag and a star nozzle pipe neat little stars on the four pieces of cake with the compote on
- Top with the other four pieces and spread on the remaining compote
- Finish off by decorating with the cream again
- Then eat!
Disclosure: I have been sent a selection of Opies products to use in recipes.