Obviously substitute flour if you don't need these to be gluten free. I use an all in one method here using either a food processor or a mixer but these can be made in the traditional way too.
- 125g gluten free self raising flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 125 g soft butter or Stork
- 1 teaspoon g/f baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 180g soft butter
- 360g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Few drops of warm water if necessary
- 6 '99' flakes cut in half
- Gluten free sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6
- Put all the cake ingredients except the milk into the mixer and mix until smooth.
- Add the milk and mix again.
- Fill 12 cupcake cases with the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. I use a skewer to test they are cooked too.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes
- Finish cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the icing mix the butter, icing sugar and vanilla paste either by hand or mixer (beware using a mixer that you may end up looking like a snowman if you're not careful)
- Add water a few drops at a time if you think the mixture is too thick. You can also use milk but I prefer water.
- Using a piping bag and nozzle decorate each cake with the buttercream finishing with a peak as you would have with a Mr Whippy ice cream.
- Finish off with a flake and some sprinkles.