After another fab lunch at my favourite place to eat Soho Joe’s there was mention of sweet potato and coconut soup. I just couldn’t resist trying to concoct my own version to keep us all warm during the last couple of weeks of freezing temperatures. As usual it’s all very easy to make,the ingredients can be adapted to fit the amount of soup required. Remember I have six hungry mouths to feed so tend to make anything and everything in gigantic bulk.
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 400ml can reduced fat coconut milk
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat the oil and gently soften the onion and garlic for about five minutes on a medium heat. Avoid browning them.
- Add the sweet potato, ginger and stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and well cooked.
- Cool slightly and then process until smooth and return to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice to taste, season with black pepper and warm up ready to serve. If the soup is too thick add some boiled water.